Wednesday 27 February 2013

Bake on!

  
I have been getting my bake on!  I am trying to bake more for school and kindy lunches.  And we also have a Kindy gala this weekend where we need to bring along a couple of baked items for the baked goods stall.
I'm planning on taking along a chocolate cake and some cupcakes.  I used this easy cupcake recipe  - "Birthday Cupcakes" from here but decorated the tops with lemon icing and sprinkles (a must for any kind of gala don't you think?).  It makes for a really good basic cupcake mix.
I also use mini cupcake cases now.  Any bigger and the top gets munched and the rest of the cupcake stays in the casing.  This way they are bite sized and much more kiddie friendly.
Ingredients:
150 grams of butter
150 grams of caster sugar
3 eggs (I only used 2 as they were quite big)
150 grams of Self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon of Baking powder
Grated zest of 1 lemon (I also squeezed in the juice)
Splash of Vanilla extract
Method:
Heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, gas 4.
Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until smooth, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles.
Stir in the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add lemon zest and squeeze in the juice.
Mix well.
Place spoonfulls in each cupcake case* (I used mini ones) and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
Place on a wire rack to cool.
I made a lemon icing and topped with sprinkles to finish!

*If you were to use standard size cupcake cases, this recipe would make 12.


George was hovering the whole time I was trying to take photos - these got his seal of approval!



Baking tins full!  Enjoy!!!


8 comments:

  1. I love your tea set! With a tea set like that I'd be baking everyday!

    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! And I LOVE your teaset - it's adorable!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the size for the little people! And lemon icing...yum!!! I am a sucker for anything lemon! I must say that I just love your tea set! It is awesome...where did you get it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cupcakes/muffins are getting bigger and bigger these days.
    Love the size of these ones.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! :-)
    Happy Wednesday to you!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! i could do with one of those with my cuppa right now!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm your newest follower, very happy to find your blog! Those cupcakes look yummy, and I totally love your tea set. Looking forward to reading more.
    Sarah x
    www.lookingasuare.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...